Pages

Thursday, February 23, 2012

Describe Your Ideal School

Describe your ideal school structure. Don’t worry about how “there is no way to change the system to get there.” Just describe. This is an exercise (like in school).


My foremost concern is options. If I have a child, I want to be able to read “mission statements” or goals of various schools, so I know how they intend to help me educate my child. I want to choose a school that is closest to my values and matches the way my child’s brain works. A dyslexic child is not any less intelligent than others. They just need different learning techniques.

Secondly, I have thought often about the way our govt funds schools. This is generally based on geography and population. Funding is supplied to schools and parents are instructed where to send their kids. If they choose a private school or home-schooling, do they get a tax break? No. What if the funds followed the kids instead of the kids following the funds? I would rather pay my school taxes to the school of my choice as tuition then trust the govt to allocate those funds for me.

Please remember, this is an “ideal” notion. I realize there are plenty of disinterested parents who wouldn’t bother to research and select for their kids. However, a system that allows for options would also still have the public/govt school option. If your kid goes there, you money goes there. Parents choose the school that spends money in the way they want it spent. More art programs in school X? More sports in school Y?

Another point I realize is that many teachers would not like this system initially. It means competition. It means less security based on tenure. It means more judgment based on job performance. The good vs. bad teacher argument would still be a debate. Would a competitive school be one that handed out good grades like Halloween candy or one that made children earn grades? Again, parents can judge a school based on their own criteria. Do I want my kid to have it easy, get straight A’s and still work as a grocery store clerk? Or do I want my kid to learn how anything worthwhile is earned, not given?

Eventually, many teachers may see that a system of choice gives them a choice too. They can apply for work at a tough school or an easy school. They can choose an atheist school, religion-based school or any sort of specialization. Schools compete to hire the best teachers. And what if there are school types we haven’t considered?

This next bit is purely from my imagination. Consider a neighborhood school. Say there are ten households in a small neighborhood. Not every household has children, so let’s put the number of school-age kids at 15, ages 5-18. Either one adult has a certification to teach or one is hired from outside the community. An assistant is also hired. Could one teacher plus one assistant efficiently teach that many children in a homeschool type technique? Would the neighborhood parents provide a traditional or alternative classroom setting and be willing to pay that teacher and an assistant to educate those children? Maybe not, but change the parameters. One teacher with seven kids? Three teachers with 30?

This has become long-winded and wanders a little into unknown territory. I don’t suggest that my ideas are the best. I only suggest that there are more ideas than are currently being considered and some of you have them. Do as you ask your students and children to do and exercise your brains to invent solutions. Maybe those same students and children can even contribute some ideas.

1 comment: